The God I follow has things to say about envy, and self-serving motivations. He offers a road that doesn't indulge peering at our neighbours' fields and fuming with our supposed lack. For you and I trying to get home, to become real human beings, to gather our thrown-away stories, this is a radical step in the right direction. You can be a pious monk in fifth-century Egypt or a burlesque dancer in modern New York, but we all turn green sometimes. Someone is our Akanida, someone evokes our smaller nature. There be monsters. Pat the gargoyle on the shoulder and tell it a story, I promise it will help. There are all sorts of accumulated hurt in us, all kinds of scuffs. A story helps settle the interior-den and brings these turbulent and evasive forces to the table. In my decades as a story-teller I have become much more honest. Stories are the most delightful vehicles for the brightening of consciousness. True, archaic technology.
-Martin Shaw, Liturgies of the Wild
No comments:
Post a Comment