Saturday, September 29, 2012

Had to check five dictionaries.........

..........before finding one that knew this word:

                            "paraprosdokian"

Can you figure out its meaning by these examples?

 Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. 

 The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list. 

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public. 

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Evening news is where they begin with 'Good Evening,' and then proceed to tell you why it isn't. 

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station. 

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says, 'In case of emergency, notify:' I put 'DOCTOR.' 

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman. 

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice. 

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. 

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car. 

Where there is a will, I want to be in it

My new favorite dictionary (very kindly providing some other quoted examples) is here 

A more complete list of examples, and the source for this post, is at Maggie's Farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment