Monday, April 8, 2013

Leaning into chaos...................


The reverberations of that ONE good teacher:
I had one teacher in grade school that understood it – unable to control me and my constant questions, curiosities, and general class interruptions, she offered me a gold star for every day that I sat quietly and did my lessons without disturbing the rest of the class. If I felt I behaved properly, I would walk up to her desk with my black and white composition notebook and ask for my star. She never refused me. But I also knew when there were days that I didn’t ask and understood why.
What this teacher did was give me a way to control my chaos – the star was a container to put it in. I understand now that it was a way of creating self-reflection in a very curious young boy who these days would be branded ADHD and given drugs and counseling.
-Jeff Kopito, as excerpted from here

No comments:

Post a Comment