Saturday, August 31, 2013

Ambrose Bierce and his Fantastic Fables....


  The Moral Principle and the Material Interest

  A MORAL Principle met a Material Interest on a bridge wide enough 
for but one.

  "Down, you base thing!" thundered the Moral Principle, "and let me 
pass over you!"

  The Material Interest merely looked in the other's eyes without 
saying anything.

  "Ah," said the Moral Principle, hesitatingly, "let us draw lots to 
see which shall retire till the other has crossed."

  The Material Interest maintained an unbroken silence and an 
unwavering stare.

  "In order to avoid a conflict," the Moral Principle resumed, 
somewhat uneasily, "I shall myself lie down and let you walk over 
me."

  Then the Material Interest found a tongue, and by a strange 
coincidence it was its own tongue.  "I don't think you are very 
good walking," it said.  "I am a little particular about what I 
have underfoot.  Suppose you get off into the water."

  It occurred that way.
via

No comments:

Post a Comment