Monday, February 17, 2014

Opening paragraphs.................

There was a time when I assumed that becoming a master craftsman would be a process of enlightenment.  My hands were still ignorant then, and I was searching for an occupation in which I could forge an adult self.  Eager for competence, I thought that having one's craft together would mean having one's life together.  Today, having become reasonable competent as a furniture maker, I know better.  Spiritual enlightenment is not on the table.  Still, the notions that drew me to the workshop forty years ago were not without consequence.  The footing on which I started my journey has shaped my choices, concerns, and experiences throughout, and my transcendent expectations for a life in craft were rewarded in more palpable ways.
-Peter Korn,  Why We Make Things and Why It Matters:  The Education of a Craftsman

No comments:

Post a Comment