Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Moaning and groaning...............


"I don't think there's much point in bemoaning the state of the world unless there is some way you think of to improve it.  Otherwise, don't bother writing a book:  go an find a tropical beach and lie in the sun."

-Peter Singer, Australian-American philosopher

"...Yet my moral inaction does not prevent me from agreeing wholeheartedly with Singer's snipe against people who moan and groan about all the injustices of the world while never getting out of their comfy chairs to actually do something about those injustices.   Call me a hypocrite.  In fact, call me the most devious kind of hypocrite - one who is hypocritical about what he calls hypocrisy.  But I cannot abide those moaners and groaners who believe that by earnestly and loudly voicing their moral judgments, they will make a particle of difference in the world.  They make me want to actively pour a bucket of Third World water over their First World heads."

-Daniel Klein,  as excerpted from  Every Time I Find the Meaning of Life, They Change It:  Wisdom of the Great Philosophers on How to Live

No comments:

Post a Comment