Sunday, January 13, 2019

I am not certain about many things..........


..............but one thing I am certain about is that the science is never settled.  Nature's systems seem to be significantly more complicated than our ability to understand them. To wit:

Sure enough, when he exposed volunteers to the equivalent of 30 minutes of summer sunlight without sunscreen, their nitric oxide levels went up and their blood pressure went down. Because of its connection to heart disease and strokes, blood pressure is the leading cause of premature death and disease in the world, and the reduction was of a magnitude large enough to prevent millions of deaths on a global level.

-Rowan Jacobson, from this essay "Is Sunscreen the New Margarine?"

Another thing I am certain about is that I prefer butter to margarine.  Apparently I'm not the only one:

"As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists.”

No comments:

Post a Comment