Saturday, December 7, 2013

Opening paragraphs.......................

Apart from life, a strong constitution, and an abiding connection to the Thembu royal house, the only thing my father bestowed on me at birth was a name, Rolihlahla.  In Xhosa, Rolihlahla literally means "pulling the branch of a tree," but its colloquial meaning more accurately would be "troublemaker."  I do not believe that names are destiny or that my father somehow divined my future, but in later years, friends and relatives would ascribe to my birth name the many storms I have both caused and weathered.  My more familiar English or Christian name was not given to me until my first day of school.  But I am getting ahead of myself.
-Nelson Mandela,  Long Walk To Freedom:  The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela

No comments:

Post a Comment